Monday, October 24, 2011

transition

We moved from WA to Tx about 12 weeks ago.  9 weeks ago M started 3rd grade at a new school.  8 weeks ago we had our 5th baby.  Everything's new.  New places, new friends, new food even!  Seriously, we even got 2 new cars!  M must have gotten my lack of ability to handle transition.  It's stressful!  And we've really put her through a lot this year.  She has never been a good sleeper.  It's worse now than before.  She's been taking Melatonin for just over a year and it seems to help her sleep, but she seems to think it's giving her a stomach ache.  She tells me every single day - at least once - that she has a stomach ache....I'm starting to wonder if she does.  Is there a possibility that she's worried so much in her life that she has an ulcer?
I worry about her.  I wish that I could swaddle her in a blanket and rock her in my arms and promise her that the world is a great place.  Or skip the next 20 years and sit on a couch beside her as she rocks her baby in her arms and laugh about how the drama from younger years doesn't matter anymore!  But she has to live these years and struggle through this transition.
We're not thrilled with her friends, her teacher and other issues at her school.  So, we've considered moving her to a school that's closer to our house, it's a montessori school...but it would be another transition and I think that would be so unfair.  I wonder how much her opinion matters in this issue.  When she got in the car after school today, she said that today sucked...I wanted to ask her how bad did it suck - bad enough to move to a new school, but I'm afraid that even mentioning it would stress her out.

I'm older and wiser now - and I have children that I have to smile for on a daily basis. So, when we found out that we were moving, I put a huge smile on my face and found good things to look forward to.  That's what I shared with my kids...the good stuff.  Truth is, I was excited to move.  But I had to focus on all the positive things that this move would bring.  I think I did a good job.  We do love it here.  But M still cries at night and tells me that she misses WA and all the good things that we left behind there!  I hate to tell her that she'll miss Tx one day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment