Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Montessori School

The two oldest girls started at a Montessori school a few weeks back...I've always loved the idea of Montessori but never had the opportunity to put my kids in a Montessori school...I volunteered in a Montessori school years and years ago and I remember loving this style of learning, this style of life...the teachers show the students respect - hmmm, what a concept, how better to teach respect than to treat someone respectfully...
Anyway, I've been doing some research on Montessori learning in the home and in the school and so, I gathered some items, most of which I already had, and we had a Montessori afternoon...now, we didn't exactly follow the rules, the kids stood at the table and rotated from one "center" to another based on a timer, we found that this worked best for Nolan (who really only wanted to play in the water)...anyway, as time went on, we lengthened the time at each center because the kids weren't ready to go onto the next one.  Now (in true Montessori fashion) I allow the kiddos to use these centers when they like - exploring at their own pace, taking the items out, working with them, cleaning them up and putting them away...Nolan's even got the hang of it...when we're not hurried out the door, to the table for lunch or off to bed, everything seems to remain some what orderly...Funny enough, in the next room over is their "play room"  this room is an absolute mess and shows no signs of Montessori learning in it!  But my kids love it...I think it's interesting to watch the different in their behavior when they're in the playroom, outside and in the art room working with our Montessori centers... I love to watch my children play and grow and learn...
(it's also quite fascinating to watch my soon to be 3 year old and 9 year old working with the same items in such different ways and learning similar and different things using these items - the level of exploration growing with age and experience - and to watch them mimic each other's play or change it entirely...just fascinating!)




 measuring beans, this was my favorite - Milenna made bean dip, so Nolan did too, but Syd wanted to be silly and make bean soup (little does she know that there's a such things as bean soup), I was sure that Nylah would make something to eat with the beans as well, but she actually asked about the different size measuring cups...and then she made bean cookies - she set a cupful of beans under the table and asked me to let her know when the oven timer was going off so she could take them out before they burned...
 water play - the kids favorite - good for all abilities - we gave Nolan a sponge, showed him how to soak the water up and then squeeze it into the other container, Syd liked the sponges, Nylah and Milenna preferred the baster
 rolling and cutting playdoh, with playdoh knives and scissors - Nolan loves playdoh and all the big fancy playdoh toys we've accumulated over the years, but this was so simple and fun, and really allowed for him to explore
Rice - amazingly different than a bucket of beans...

simple, real, part of everyday life, exploring, learning, laughing
I love this!

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed by you! Great work and I love how you are observing your children in their learning. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete